Monday 13 August 2018

Welcome to Walsingham! Building a Welcoming Church




By Annabel Ward

In the run up to the festival, we're talking to our team about how why they're passionate about building their corner of the festival. Today we're talking to Annabel Ward, who has been co-coordinating hospitality- a major element for any festival! Here's what she had to say.



What do you remember about your first Walsingham festival?

'I came to my first Walsingham festival when I was about ten, the main thing I remember from then was the complete freedom. My parents knew we were very safe, it was like being part of one huge family, so we were able to roam around the fields for five days. That sense of total freedom is something that has always remained with me at youth 2000. The festival is an opportunity to be completely yourself, free from the stresses of life and you can take such comfort in the fact you are joining a big family.'



How did you end up getting involved with the team?

'I’ve always wanted to give back to Youth 2000, and this year seemed like the perfect opportunity. This year I’ve been on a personal journey, and I really feel called to help bring people into relationship with God.'

Why is welcome so important for the church?

'First impressions count. I heard a quote this year “belong, believe, behave”. This means that for people to feel part of the church they must first feel part of the community, it’s from there that people can develop their faith.

I think the Catholic Church at times gets a negative reputation for its welcome, and I feel passionate about changing this and showing the World what the church is actually about- community.'



What was your experience of this at Alpha?

'I went to Alpha at HTB (the church which started it) and I was blown away by the welcome. There were so many volunteers on welcome and registration and I just felt so cared for. When I arrived I was signed in, then someone took me to meet my group leader and from there showed me where to get food etc. It just made me feel immediately at ease.'

What would you say to someone thinking about coming?

'For anyone not sure about whether to come to the festival I’d really encourage you to take that leap of faith and come along! You’ll meet wonderful people all of which are on the same journey as you, and you may even make friends for life- I know I have! We have a wonderful welcome team ready to greet you and show you around, and we would love to have you join us. You never know, coming along could change your life!'




You can book onto the Walsingham Summer Festival right here:  http://ow.ly/eB3N30kQX8T

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig