Monday 12 November 2018

Bringing Jesus to University


Throughout secondary school I always had my heart set on going to university. The course I wanted to do changed goodness knows how many times, but regardless I knew that going to university was the next step I needed to take in my life. I’m around 8 weeks into my first semester and I feel like I’m now in the position to speak about the experiences I’ve had so far, and share the reminders that have helped me cope with the vast amount of changes I’ve gone through already.

1. Jesus is your best friend



Okay, we all know this, but keeping it at the forefront of my mind has helped me so much since starting university. My family lives in a small village, so moving away from everything I had known into a bustling city was very scary at the start. Whilst a couple of my old schoolmates are at the same university as me, I’ve gone from being surrounded by people I grew up with to knowing only a handful of other students. 

Making friends has always been a bit of a struggle for my introverted self, but reminding myself that Jesus is constantly by my side has allowed me to put myself out there more and speak to anyone and everyone, just as He would have done. It is also a great reassurance in general; no matter how alone or isolated I may feel at times, I can turn to my best friend at any hour of the day and He will always be there to listen to and comfort me. In the midst of so much uncertainty, Jesus is my true north, my stronghold, my ‘cornerstone’ (Psalm 118: 22).

The best way for me to keep growing in this friendship with Jesus during University has been through prayer. As soon as I wake up in the morning, I'll make the sign of the cross to invite Him into my day, and I’ll constantly ask Him for guidance and give thanks to Him for little things throughout the day. That way, through both the big and small moments, I know Jesus is walking right beside me.

Having a best friend who loves me so unconditionally has also helped me to love others, especially when it is challenging to do so. I've quickly realised that University can be a stressful environment, and it can be so easy to take your frustration out on others, but Jesus has helped me to (try and) spread love to those around me instead. In this way, I’m hopefully giving the people I meet just a tiny glimpse of the immense love that Jesus has for them.


Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. (1 John 4:7)

2.  Allow yourself to feel




This might also seem like an obvious one, but it’s something I’ve really had to focus on lately. I’m a highly emotional individual, and going through so much turbulence of change has sent my emotions into even harder overdrive than normal. I have a bad habit of keeping them under lock and key until there’s no capacity left for anything else, and then they tend to explode in a rather messy manner. 

However, I am slowly but surely learning to acknowledge my feelings when I feel them, rather than ignore them until they start to overflow. If I find myself getting overwhelmed, I try to take a few minutes to speak to God and ask Him to take away all of the anxiety, stress and fear I’m experiencing at that particular moment. 

Going to adoration has also been an incredible way to connect with Jesus - in the Blessed Sacrament, He’s right there in front of me - and so I'll bring everything weighing down my heart to Him. In those moments, I'll also ask the Holy Spirit to work through me and use me as the Lord’s instrument; when I’m doing what God wants me to do rather than what I think I need to do, I've seen that everything tends to go a lot more smoothly. 

As Matthew writes in his gospel, 


‘With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’ (Matthew 19:26).

3. Get involved with your university/college chaplaincy



This has honestly done absolute wonders for my faith since starting University. The vast majority of people I’ve encountered have been so lovely and welcoming, but the young Catholics I’ve met have somehow been even more so! They’re so filled with joy and peace, and this rubs off on me whenever I have a conversation with one of them or hear them play music at mass (they also use some classic Y2K songs, so I feel right at home).

I made myself known at the chaplaincy as soon as I could, and when the parish priest welcomed me immediately with such open arms: I knew I was where God wanted me to be. As well as attending the evening mass every Sunday, I’ve also been to a few of the talks and events that the chaplaincy runs on a weekly basis and this has been an amazing opportunity to learn about my faith in a warm and informal setting. Seeing so many young people brought together by Jesus fills me with so much happiness, and really reaffirms that God has an amazing plan for all of us, both as individuals and as different members of the same body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12). 

It’s also slowly giving me more confidence to talk to my peers about my faith; especially with those who don't believe or are currently content with a life without knowing God - which can sometimes be a daunting conversation to start at University. However, I had my first faith-based discussion with my flatmates the other week after they’d asked me a few questions, and it was a really positive and encouraging experience. I've realised how important it is to not be afraid of spreading Jesus' message; as it allows my peers to learn of the love He has for each and every one of them, and is desperately waiting for them to know. They might disagree with what I have to say, but if I can share the good news with them, that’s all that matters to me. God will do the rest.


Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19)

4.  Keep trusting in God’s goodness: He is present




If I’ve learnt anything over the past 8 weeks (aside from my coursework, obviously) it would be that God is forever constant and will never, ever waver. He is always by your side and will help you over each hurdle that stands in your way. It’s a long process – no one expects you to have your life together immediately after it’s been flipped upside down – but you simply have to trust in God and everything else will fall into place. You will stumble, you will hurt, and if you’re anything like me you will definitely cry. But that’s okay. God knows we’re not perfect, and He doesn’t want us to be. He just wants us to try our best and put our total faith in His plan. He will provide. He always has and always will.

To finish off this post I'll leave you with one more Bible quote that has become one of my absolute favourites. It’s a constant reminder that everything I’m feeling is totally natural, and that God is patiently waiting for me to give it all to Him. With God in front of you, Jesus at your side and the Holy Spirit working through you, you can do anything. Just you wait and see.

‘Do not be afraid, only believe’ – Mark 5:36.


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig