Sunday 22 March 2020

Looking to Our Blessed Mother this Mother's Day


by Erin Rose

“What are you doing with your mum this weekend?” my driving instructor asked. I ignored the question, pretending to be too busy concentrating on my awful driving. Aged 16 when my mum died, amidst the challenges of my teenage years, it’s an experience which I rarely talk about.

Mother’s Day is tough, especially when I dwell on the milestones that she’s missed, which I know she would have loved to have been there for. Yet, I still do have a reason to celebrate. Upon this day, I thank the Lord for my Nana, being the incredible female role model in my life, and I continue to pray for the repose of the soul of my mum. I also have a special relationship with Our Lady- my heavenly mother, in whom I look to for guidance here on earth. In honouring Our Blessed Mother, She brings me, her daughter, closer in communion with Christ.

Image result for schoenstatt

My family have always had a great devotion to Our Lady and growing up, we often spent time in prayer at Schoenstatt, a Marian shrine, founded in 1914 by Father Joseph Kentenich. It was here that my parents made the “Covenant of Love”, a devotion to Our Lady, in honouring the commitment to their marriage and children. In doing so, we prayed the Schoenstatt consecration prayer together:

My Queen, my Mother, I give myself
entirely to you, and to show my devotion to you,
I consecrate to you this day
my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart,
my entire self without reserve.
As I am your own, my good Mother,
guard me and defend me
as your property and possession. 
Amen
.
This is probably my favourite prayer to Our Lady, and one in which I like to meditate upon in times of struggle, when I require Her intercession. A few hours after my mum passed away, my dad and I drove to Schoenstatt, praying this together. Somehow it calmed me, knowing that Our Lady was there to protect us and give us strength. This prayer is beautiful when prayed fervently as it is the wholehearted giving of oneself to Her, and so too to Christ. There are two lines which stand out to me: “my entire self without reserve” and “guard me and defend me”.

The former tells us to offer up our insecurities, flaws and uncertainties in exchange for Her unfailing love, even when we may feel unworthy. Having the humility to admit weaknesses and shortcomings leaves room in our hearts for Our Blessed Mother to bring us closer in love to Christ. Our Lady herself demonstrated loving obedience being the “Handmaid of the Lord”, giving herself up “without reserve” to serve God’s call to be the mother of Christ. Similarly, when we go to confession, we too should present ourselves before The Lord “without reserve”, in an honest examination of conscience, in seeking forgiveness and in the continuous pursuit of holiness.

The latter, “guard me and defend me” serves as a reminder of Her maternal love and embrace. Her guarding of our hearts when we are hurt and her defence of us when we are weak and unsure of ourselves. Our Lady is an example of feminine strength whom will serve to defend Us, Her children, through Her gentleness and love. Like our mothers here on earth, Our Mother in Heaven has Her arms open wide, leading us back to Christ.


Therefore, on this day, we should be thankful for our mothers, grandmothers and women who follow Christ’s example of love and kindness. Whether you are celebrating with your mother or not, do not forget the beauty of Our Lady’s never-ending commitment to bringing us closer to Christ, not only on Mother’s Day, but every day. 

Happy Mother's Day!


This beautiful image of Our Lady has been crafted by our wonderful friend Therese Withers, who is selling A4 pieces for £15. If you would like to purchase one, please message her through Instagram or Facebook - theresevooght.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig