Wednesday 13 May 2020

Dating Jesus (part 2): Some practical tips


By Chiara Toone

Since my last blog on “dating Jesus” received quite a lot of intrigue and curiosity, I decided to engage people more practically in this concept of “dating Jesus”. Therefore here are a few practical tips to help you on your romantic journey to finding your worth in God.

Make time for Him

If you had a boyfriend or girlfriend, you would want to make time and spend time with them. Do the same with Jesus! Reserve at least 10 minutes of silence with Him - I always find that the best quality time is in the morning where there are hardly any distractions and your mind can focus more readily on him. It also starts off your day the right way - and you can see Him more clearly in life's everyday moments. But remember, this time is not so you can get something back in return, but it’s just for the sake of spending time with him. When you spend time with your partner, you do so because you love them, not because it's a ‘duty’ as such. 


Ask the Holy Spirit to come and teach you how to love Jesus: “Come Holy Spirit, teach me how to love Jesus”. Let him show you how much he loves you, and don’t worry he will speak, just listen! Light a candle maybe to help you focus.



Read his love letters

The Bible is full of verses of God telling us how much he loves us. I have found Song of Songs such an amazing book in the Bible that never fails to engage me. The Gospel of John is also very poetic, and invites the reader into a closer, more intimate relationship with him. Many of the prophets have lovely bits that talk about God’s love for his people, I have found Hosea especially romantic. Maybe just read one line a day, and invite the Holy Spirit to speak to you through that verse. Here are a couple of reading to get you started:

Song of Songs 2:10-13 
John 4:1-42
Hosea 2:14-23

Wonder at his beauty

Something that has especially helped me in “dating Jesus” is to admire his beauty, especially in the natural world. I often take myself on short walks to just let Jesus speak to me through the beauty of the outside. Even just bending down to look at a little daisy to observe the intricate beauty it has to offer you, knowing that that is a result of the creative hand of God, and that he made that JUST FOR YOU! 



Worship him

If I need a pick up, or I just need to remind myself of his everloving presence, I will stick on some Praise and Worship on Spotify (Youth2000's music ministry have shared some great ones!). Praising and worshipping him is the best way to understand that he is the King of our lives and of our hearts. Audrey Assad’s cover of “Open the eyes of my heart” and Bethel’s “King of my Heart” particularly help me to enthrone Jesus on my heart again and again.

Get to know his mother

Letting Our Lady show me who Jesus truly is has really helped me enter into relationship with him. Praying the rosary guides me to meditate upon the life of Jesus, and understand the reality of his person. Jesus IS a reality, and the mysteries of the rosary show us how real he is. As you pray the rosary, really make a point of pondering the mystery that you’re praying. Even just praying one decade with a real intention of meditating upon that mystery will help you enter into his reality. 

Journal

Update your journal with romantic encounters you’ve had with Jesus; words you felt he has spoken over you, through his word or the holy spirit; things you’ve found difficult in the process. You will look back on it all and see the love of God guiding you to a you that is more fully alive and sure in your identity as the beloved of Christ!  



So have fun on your new dating period with Jesus! (and let us know how it goes!) :) 
Share:

4 comments

  1. Hi Dear,
    Thanks for sharing such useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us which contain lot of information about cannabis edibles, I like this post. Please visit at "Testbericht Milf-Friend.com", i hope you may like our Electrician service.

    Visit Here - https://datingsieger.de/testbericht-milf-friend-com/'

    Thanks, Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for another wonderful post. Where else could anybody get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing? asian dating site

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really good reourceful site well worth the reading
    https://freshcoatpaintingservice.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe and Reliable Nationwide Auto Transport Travelers Auto Transport

    ReplyDelete

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig