Wednesday 5 December 2018

Advent Daily Devotionals - The Abundant Life - 5th Dec


THE ABUNDANT LIFE

5th December
Reading 1, Isaiah 25:6-10
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
Gospel, Matthew 15:29-37

First ReadingIsaiah 25:6-10
On this mountain, for all peoples, Yahweh Sabaoth is preparing a banquet of rich food, a banquet of fine wines, of succulent food, of well-strained wines.
On this mountain, he has destroyed the veil which used to veil all peoples, the pall enveloping all nations; he has destroyed death for ever. Lord Yahweh has wiped away the tears from every cheek; he has taken his people's shame away everywhere on earth, for Yahweh has spoken.

And on that day, it will be said, 'Look, this is our God, in him we put our hope that he should save us, this is Yahweh, we put our hope in him. Let us exult and rejoice since he has saved us.' For Yahweh's hand will rest on this mountain, and Moab will be trodden under his feet as straw is trodden into the dung-heap.

Responsorial PsalmPsalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6

[Psalm Of David]

Yahweh is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
In grassy meadows he lets me lie.
By tranquil streams he leads me to restore my spirit.
He guides me in paths of saving justice as befits his name.
Even were I to walk in a ravine as dark as death I should fear no danger, for you are at my side. Your staff and your crook are there to soothe me.
You prepare a table for me under the eyes of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup brims over.
Kindness and faithful love pursue me every day of my life.
I make my home in the house of Yahweh for all time to come.

GospelMatthew 15:29-37

Jesus went on from there and reached the shores of the Lake of Galilee, and he went up onto the mountain. He took his seat, and large crowds came to him bringing the lame, the crippled, the blind, the dumb and many others; these they put down at his feet, and he cured them.

The crowds were astonished to see the dumb speaking, the cripples whole again, the lame walking and the blind with their sight, and they praised the God of Israel. But Jesus called his disciples to him and said, 'I feel sorry for all these people; they have been with me for three days now and have nothing to eat. I do not want to send them off hungry, or they might collapse on the way.' The disciples said to him, 'Where in a deserted place could we get sufficient bread for such a large crowd to have enough to eat?'

Jesus said to them, 'How many loaves have you?' They said, 'Seven, and a few small fish.' Then he instructed the crowd to sit down on the ground, and he took the seven loaves and the fish, and after giving thanks he broke them and began handing them to the disciples, who gave them to the crowds. They all ate as much as they wanted, and they collected what was left of the scraps, seven baskets full.

Writer's Reflection:

Today’s Gospel is so familiar. Jesus, the loaves and the fish, hungry crowds. It would be easy to just gloss over the depth of revelation in this. Gathered around Jesus are crowds of people waiting to see him work his healing wonders on the lame, the crippled, and the blind. They’re transfixed. They’ve been with him three days just waiting to see what wonder he will work next.  Amidst the miracles, Jesus is aware of the reality of those around him. In the midst of his ministry, in the midst of the busyness, Jesus recognises the nitty gritty needs of those close to him and knows their need of food to sustain them. Reaching out to his disciples, Jesus takes the little that they have to eat, gives thanks and then passes out the goods; trusting that there will be enough to satisfy their hunger.

Jesus Christ reveals to us in this Gospel the God of Abundance. Like Jesus takes the little that his disciples have to feed the crowd, He wants to take the little that we have and multiply it for the good of those around us. What is even more beautiful is that the little offering of the disciples doesn’t produce just enough crumbs for the crowds to consume, but instead they are able to feast, eating as much as they want and fully satisfying their hunger.

This feast that God promises to provide for us is also beautifully reminded in today’s first reading and responsorial psalms:

Yahweh is preparing a banquet of rich food, a banquet of fine wines, of succulent food, of well-strained wines.
Yahweh is my shepherd, I lack nothing
You anoint my head with oil; my cup brims over

What a beautiful and extravagant God we have; a God that wants to go every extra mile to provide for us, to show us how much He loves us as His children.

For me the journey of discipleship over the past few years has been about realising that Jesus doesn’t want to take what I have and leave me with nothing; but instead He wants to take the little that I have and use it to bless others. He wants to take my little offering and increase it. When we give our little offering to Jesus, He can do infinitely more than we can ever imagine. With Him we will never lack anything. We have a God who increases our offering and never leaves us without. He wants to lead us to an abundant life – a life overflowing with his joy. 

Prayer Reflection:

This Advent, how is Jesus calling you to give a little for the good of those around you? How can you be more attentive to those around you in the busyness of this season?


Writer Bio: Francesca Carbone

Hi! My name is Fran! I'm 23 and currently working as part of a school chaplaincy team in Brighton! You're most likely to find me in a cosy coffee shop with either a good book or an equally good pal. Fresh flowers, live music, sea side views and dinner parties make my heart ridiculously happy.  

For me, following Jesus is the biggest adventure I've ever been on; it's taken me to places I never thought I'd go, led me to people I am so blessed to call friends and pulled me out of my comfort zone more times than I can keep count of. 


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig