Saturday 15 December 2018

Advent Daily Devotionals: Blind to Him: 15th Dec



BLIND TO HIM

15th December 2018
Readings of the Day:
First Reading: Sirach 48:1-4, 9-11
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19
Gospel, Matthew 17:10-13

First Reading: Sirach 48:1-4, 9-11

Then the prophet Elijah arose like a fire, his word flaring like a torch. It was he who brought famine on them and decimated them in his zeal. By the word of the Lord he shut up the heavens, three times also he brought down fire. How glorious you were in your miracles, Elijah! Has anyone reason to boast as you have? Taken up in the whirlwind of fire, in a chariot with fiery horses; designated in the prophecies of doom to allay God's wrath before the fury breaks, to turn the hearts of fathers towards their children, and to restore the tribes of Jacob. Blessed, those who will see you, and those who have fallen asleep in love; for we too shall certainly have life.

Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 80:2-3, 15-16, 18-19

Over Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh; rouse your valour and come to our help. God, bring us back, let your face shine on us and we shall be safe. 
Protect what your own hand has planted. 
They have thrown it on the fire like dung, the frown of your rebuke will destroy them. 
Never again will we turn away from you, give us life and we will call upon your name. 
God Sabaoth, bring us back, let your face shine on us and we shall be safe.

Gospel, Matthew 17:10-13

And the disciples put this question to him, 'Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?' 
He replied, 'Elijah is indeed coming, and he will set everything right again; however, I tell you that Elijah has come already and they did not recognise him but treated him as they pleased; and the Son of man will suffer similarly at their hands.' Then the disciples understood that he was speaking of John the Baptist.

Writer’s Reflection

Last month, I was reading Sirach daily. What a book. It contains some perennial wisdom, some chapters I really struggled with, some that I absolutely adored, and I finished it a week or so before the start of Advent. Today’s First reading comes from a section of Sirach that condenses and summarises the most important Old Testament figures and their lives.

Elijah was a pretty epic man. He performed miracles, arose to God in fire, prophesised, and was foretold to come again. Because of this, some thought Jesus might have been Elijah; but Jesus tells His disciples that ‘Elijah has come already, and they did not recognise him’. In this, He was talking about John the Baptist. Why did they presume John the Baptist and not Jesus himself? Because they knew Jesus was the Messiah. Some thought that John the Baptist might have been the Messiah, but we know from St John himself, that he was not. This is because St John knew that Jesus was the Messiah.

These readings are not supposed to lead us to recognise John the Baptist as Elijah, but Jesus as the Son of Man. The Gospel of today directly follows Peter’s declaration of Jesus’ divinity and the Transfiguration. A few chapters before details the death of John the Baptist. Everyone in context knew that Jesus was talking about His own misrecognition, mistreatment, suffering, and later death.

Well then how is that relevant to my life?

Well, how many times have I not recognised or mistreated Jesus? Elijah and John were prophets, they told the truth and pointed in the direction of our Lord. I cannot count the number of times in my life, particularly leading up to my return to my Catholic faith, where I missed signs pointing in His direction. There were so many opportunities I rejected because I thought some other detail or activity was more important than following Him. For so long, I sat in Church and did not recognise that I was sitting in front of Him in the tabernacle or the Eucharist. There is still so much charity I neglect, because I neglect to recognise the image of God in my neighbours.

We misrecognise signs from heaven all the time. Even with a wealth of knowledge behind us. Even when He’s right in front of us. That is why reading Scripture is so important, both in the Old and New testament, there are prophets and wisdom and Saints who help us understand the person of Jesus Christ and how He relates to our lives. If we do not ask questions, then we will continue to be blind to Him.

Prayer Reflection:

Dear Lord,
No one professes Jesus as Lord without the Spirit moving in them. We need your grace to make us holy. Come O Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful, and enkindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your spirit and they shall be created, and you shall renew the face of the earth.
Amen.


Writer Bio: Miriam David


Hello, my name is Miriam. I am 21 and currently praying my way through the fourth and final year of a Politics degree at the University of Exeter.

I secretly still want to be in Canada, where I spent my year abroad pretending to study Politics and actually learning how to be a multiplying missionary disciple for Christ with the help of Catholic Christian Outreach. When I look back on my faith journey, I can see how important it was that other Catholics my age loved me as an individual and took the time to help me grow in faith.


Reader, please do that for someone. Attend a Catholic event this week, invite someone else along, step outside of your comfort zone, and offer to pray with them. If you are invited, please remember our Blessed Mother, and say ‘yes’.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig