Saturday 8 December 2018

Advent Daily Devotionals - In the Silence - 8th Dec




IN THE SILENCE

Saturday 8th December 2018: Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Readings of the Day:
First Reading: Genesis 3:9-15, 20
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 98:1, 2-3, 3-4
Gospel, Luke 1:26-38

First Reading, Genesis 3:9-15, 20

But God called to the man. 'Where are you?' he asked.' I heard the sound of you in the garden,' he replied. 'I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid. 'Who told you that you were naked?' he asked. 'Have you been eating from the tree I forbade you to eat?' The man replied, 'It was the woman you put with me; she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.' Then God said to the woman, 'Why did you do that?' The woman replied, 'The snake tempted me and I ate.'

Then God said to the snake, 'Because you have done this, Accursed be you of all animals wild and tame! On your belly you will go and on dust you will feed as long as you live. I shall put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; it will bruise your head and you will strike its heel. 'The man named his wife 'Eve' because she was the mother of all those who live.

Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 95:1-2, 3-5, 6-7

Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has performed wonders, his saving power is in his right hand and his holy arm.
The Lord has made known his saving power, revealed his saving justice for the nations to see, mindful of his faithful love and his constancy to the House of Israel. The whole wide world has seen the saving power of our God.
Acclaim the Lord, all the earth, burst into shouts of joy!

Gospel, Luke 1:26-38

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent by God to a town in Galilee called Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man named Joseph, of the House of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

He went in and said to her, 'Rejoice, you who enjoy God's favour! The Lord is with you.' She was deeply disturbed by these words and asked herself what this greeting could mean ,but the angel said to her, 'Mary, do not be afraid; you have won God's favour.

Look! You are to conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you must name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David; He will rule over the House of Jacob for ever and his reign will have no end.' Mary said to the angel, 'But how can this come about, since I have no knowledge of man?'

The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will cover you with its shadow. And so the child will be holy and will be called Son of God. And I tell you this too: your cousin Elizabeth also, in her old age, has conceived a son, and she whom people called barren is now in her sixth month, for nothing is impossible to God.'
 Mary said, 'You see before you the Lord's servant, let it happen to me as you have said.' And the angel left her.

Writers Reflection:

I love Advent! Ever since I was a child me and my 3 siblings would take it in turns to add a character to our nativity scene each day. We would enthusiastically decorate our house, bake festive goods and zealously dance to Christmas music in the kitchen. My parents also love Advent, and would welcome our joy whole heartedly. However, they would also encourage us each day before we went to sleep, and while we lit our advent candle; to be still and thank God for the gift of this season. 

Today is the Feast of Our Lady’s Immaculate Conception. Christ’s Mother was exempt from the effects of original sin from the moment of her conception in the womb. The “yes” we hear from Our Lady in the Gospel today is the very reason that it is fitting that she is born without sin. Our Lady says yes to being mother to the Lord despite the challenges she will endure. Our Lady gives birth to the Saviour of the world and therefore it is only fitting that the mother of God is perfect. (As Jesus is God and exists outside of time and space, it is through His death on the cross that Our Lady is without sin – it really is beautiful).

Every time I read the Gospels, I am amazed at how silent Our Lady is. She is humble and understands her role as a mother and sees the truth of her son’s love. In her silence, she learns more about herself and what she is made for, and is able to continually say yes to God’s plans for her life. 

I know that I deeply desire to do Gods will, but ever since I was a child; I can get distracted by the business of preparing for Advent. I need reminding to be silent and pray.

This year amongst the hustle and bustle of Advent, with many exciting parties and festive plans that it brings, I am still going to try and spend some extra time each day to sit and be quiet in prayer. I know that, as God had a plan for Our Lady from conception, He also has a definite purpose for my life; and I am free to accept this if only I listen to him. I know Jesus wants to speak to me, reveal more about myself to me, and ultimately more about Himself and His unexplainable love for me. I ask for the prayers of Our Lady, and her encouragement to step into the silence to be present with Jesus this Advent.

Prayer Reflection:

Our Lord desires intimacy for each one of us.
Do you also need to step into some silence this advent? How about making an extra effort to spend some time in silent in front of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament in Adoration. Maybe it is to spend some 3 or 4 minutes before we sleep, asking the Lord to speak to your heart.
Ask Our Lady to pray for you this season she is humbly waiting to take our prayers to the heart of Jesus. 

Writer's Bio: Anna Brown

Hi, my name is Anna! I’m 25 and live in London surrounded by amazing Catholic friends. 

I work in university welfare and volunteer in my local parish. I love reading, baking, going on adventures around London with friends and I love to try water sports. 

I really love Jesus and Jesus loves you! Our Lady delights in each one of her children. Spend some time getting to know God this Advent as it truly is the best adventure you will experience.
Share:

1 comment

  1. Thank you for your Beautiful reflection. So pleased to know the strong faith of young Catholics. God bless

    ReplyDelete

© Youth 2000 Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig